Re: [Groff] W.: [bug #42978] tbl does not restore the tab settings

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] W.: [bug #42978] tbl does not restore the tab settings
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 22:21:03 +0200 (CEST)

>   I did make a change to the "an-old.tmac" file to preserve the tab
> settings.  I checked other files and they do also contain the TS/TE
> macros.  Instead of making the same change in more than one place, I
> find it would be simpler to make the changes in one place, "tbl".

tbl and *roff are not just "man page tools".  They should not be changed just
to someones current particular flavor.

tbl does use ".ta".  And it is a general purpose preprocessor (i.e. not just
for man mages).
If someone creates a document and sets .ta to some value, how should tbl reset
this
value?

Yes, the man macros could save the setting in .TS and restore in .TE when they
use
variables as arguments for .ta.

Yes, it should be documented that tbl does "overwrite" the .ta setting without
restoring
it.