Re: [Groff] Automake migration proposal

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [Groff] Automake migration proposal
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 01:37:50 +0200

Hi Ingo,

On Mon, Aug 11 2014 at 08:59:58 PM, Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden> wrote:
> Using $< in a non-suffix rule context is a GNUmake idiom (Makefile:8454)
> *** Error 2 in /co/groff/build (Makefile:3654 'all')
>
> Please apply the following patch to the automake branch.

The use of $> in your patch doesn't work on my environment, it is
replaced by an empty string. What is it by the way ? The only
information I found on this symbol was a suggestion on the GNU make
mailing list to define it as an alias to $^.

In pdfmark.am I can replace $< by the name of the file, so it shouldn't be
a problem.

In groffer.am I've made a mistake and the man files are not properly
generated, I'll work on this tomorrow and get rid of this $<.

In doc.am your patch seems to work on my environment, but I don't quite
understand why it works for you on the master branch, I've just adapted
the doc/Makefile.sub file which uses $< in a non-suffix rule.

Bertrand Garrigues