Re: [Groff] Automake migration proposal

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [Groff] Automake migration proposal
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 07:32:33 +0200

Hello Bernd,

On Sun, Aug 10 2014 at 05:54:28 PM, "Bernd Warken" <address@hidden> wrote:
> With `bootstrap' a `README.git' is generated.  That would be a good
> documentation point for your testing information.  Also some information
> for extending information from so far Makefile.in.  More about using
> `automake' and `autoconf' for future enhancements.

The README.git file is not generated. It is a file that is not
distributed in the tarball and used by the bootstrap script to check if
you are compiling from the checkouted sources, not from a tarball. If
you invoke bootstrap without this file present in the source tree, it
will complain that "Bootstrapping from a non-checked-out distribution is
risky".

I've started to add some information on automake in INSTALL.REPO, I can
write more details and tips for persons that were familiar with the
hand-written Makefile.in.

Bertrand Garrigues