Re: [Groff] \[-+] not available? why?

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] \[-+] not available? why?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 18:47:46 +0100 (BST)

On 31-Jul-2014 16:53:08 Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> Is it possible to make .char \[-+] ...  something that is part of
>> the S font by default?
>
> No.  However, it might be added to the constructed symbols provided
> for -Tps (in file `tmac/ps.tmac', using `.fchar').
>
>     Werner

That is probably a good idea, since it is a symbol of general interest
(even if not frequently occurring).

However, for it to be appropriately available for equations, one
also needs to have

  define -+ "\[-+]"

say in file tmac/eqnrc. If tmac/eqnrc is read in before tmac/ps.tmac
(which I'm not sure about) then one may get a
  "warning: can't find special character `-+'"
since \[-+] is not yet defined; but it seems that this will not
spoil the interpretation of "-+" within equations in the troff
source file once tmac/ps.tmac has been read.

As a bit of general advice, it can be very useful to create one's
own special definitions. In my case this has involved extensive
modifications of tmac/eqnrc, plus extra tmac files "tmac/tmac.ted"
and "tmac/tmac.preted" which have a lot of stuff (and involve extra
options "-mpreted -mted" in the command that calls troff.

(I will spare the list the details of this lot ... ).

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Date: 31-Jul-2014  Time: 18:47:42