Re: [Groff] unquoted escape warning

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] unquoted escape warning
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 19:42:08 +0200

> > This works fine for me, putting a big space between the 1
> > and the 4.
> >
> >    3 over { 1 "\h'1i'" 4 } = pi
>
> yes, the warning has gone.
>
> I presume it was a warning, because the required spacing was
> created even without the double quotes.

Just wanted to add that eqn defines commands for local motions,
so you don't always need to intersperse raw troff escapes with
your eqn code:

  3 over { 1 fwd 500 4 } = pi

will space 500 1/100ths of an em between the 1 and the 4.
You can't give any units (it's always in one-hundredth ems),
so it was probably meant to keep the proportions with the
text, independent of absolute scale.

In addition to fwd, there's back, up, and down.
For example, "<<" is defined as "< back 20 <".