Re: [Groff] \[-+] not available? why?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] \[-+] not available? why?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:42:45 +0100

Hi Werner,

> > Why is it useful to have nroff ignore a duff -T value and fall back
> > as if it was unspecified?
>
> I can't remember...

It's changed a bit over the years, but 2000's
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/src/roff/nroff/nroff.sh?id=e092fba45175220aeee4912da9e2b96228a798b3
used to set -T's value from locale(1)'s output, or LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG,
and then let the -T argument override it only if it was ascii, latin1,
or utf8, or else silently ignore the option.  So it's not surprising you
can't recall.  :-)  git goes back no further.

> It does.  However, in your nroff line above, you are searching for
> \[-+], not \[+-], which is not the same.

Yes, sorry, I didn't notice the distinction!  Now I know there's a
minusplus as well as a plusminus.

Cheers, Ralph.