Re: [Groff] .hcode request with german umlauts inside utf8 input file

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] .hcode request with german umlauts inside utf8 input file
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:16:29 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Ralph,

> > Is utf8 input not supported?
>
> It is not.  Not directly, anyway.

(In general I like to use 7-bit input anyway.)

So I understand it is best to have a latin1 (ISO 8859-1) coded input file for
.hcode with umlauts?

> Groff supports various single-byte encodings for input;  see `Input
> Encodings' node in `info groff'.  To handle UTF-8 input, groff (1) has a
> -k option that uses preconv(1).

I put "preconv -e utf-8 <input files> | pic | ..." in front of the pipe and it
does not seem to work (I prefer the pipe instead of groff(1)). It converts "รค"
to "\[u00E4]" but pic(1) also complaines with "invalid input character code".

Cheers,
Carsten