Re: [Groff] Markdown to MOM Using Pandoc

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Markdown to MOM Using Pandoc
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 10:48:22 -0400

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014, James K. Lowden wrote:
> Do you use stylesheets for documents?  I've been writing on a computer
> since the days of Wordstar, and never felt the need.  I think most
> people rely on the defaults and adjust them as needed, per-document.

Which may explain the low-level formatting we've all kvetched about
in manpages. :)

Seriously, I strongly favour stylesheets, especially in conjuction
with simplified markup languages like Markdown.  Question of
lining up your ducks before you get started typing.

> In any case, groff already has conditional processing and the .so
> request.  A stylesheet, if that's what's wanted, can be contructed from
> them.  In conjunction with the \V escape, the stylesheet could be
> included based on the value of an environment variable.

.so basically takes care of reading in stylesheets, so the issue
isn't how to implement them, it's how to foster their use.  A couple
of nicely commented stylesheets bundled with Yves' project could
prove useful.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca