Re: [Groff] Compression support for files?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Compression support for files?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 22:10:22 +0900 (JST)

> The original intent of Matthew Dillon i think was to be able to
> blindly use the `.so' request and make it work regardless of wether
> whatever file is compressed or not.

Why would you ever want this?  TeX doesn't have this either, and up to
now I've never seen a request for adding this.

> Moreover, some files you simply don't need that often; a Unicode
> font in the format that groff(1) understands can well be over 40
> megabytes, which can be boiled down to less than the half of that.

Here I agree: groff font files are extremely verbose.  But compression
is not the right solution, I think: you should rather implement a
better font format.  And for the grops front-end, support for modern,
compact font formats like CFF or TFF should be implemented.