Re: [Groff] underlining

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] underlining
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 01:12:47 +0200

> > I would have no problem with a special groff request
> > with a new name.  But one can't change .ul.
>
> I'm not sure Bernd was suggesting .ul change in troff to
> underline.  Even if he was, it wouldn't be accepted so
> don't fret.  :-)

Actually, why not?  I'd like to argue that request names carry
with them an "implied contract" as to their function, and "ul"
stands for underline, so that's what it should be used for.
It's not unreasonable to assume that the "I say underline
but actually mean italic" was a hack already at the time
troff was introduced, in order to make older nroff documents
(that *did* use underlining) look prettier on the typesetter.
If this (mis)feature is really needed for older documents,
then that's what we have compatibility mode for.  I'm hoping
nobody actually uses "ul" for italic in this enlightened age
(where we can say "ft" instead), so it would again be free
for its real purpose.