Re: [Groff] {Groff] underlining

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] {Groff] underlining
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 18:11:17 +0200 (CEST)

----- Original Nachricht ----
Von:     Doug McIlroy <address@hidden>
An:      address@hidden
Datum:   08.07.2014 15:10
Betreff: Re: [Groff] {Groff] underlining

> Maybe we need a more general facility, in terms of which a whole
> array of effects can be defined. One possibility is a primitive,
> say .decorate m, which applies macro m to every text character
> until .decorate with no argument. Several decorations could be
> applied to every character.
>
> The proposal raises some questions. (1) Does white space get decorated?
> (2) How about punctuation? (3) Do multiple decorates terminate together,
> or do they nest? One can come up with answers to these quesions, but
> the first issue is whether this is an idea worth pursuing.

This is a good idea. Maybe .decorate could have two arguments, one for the
decorations and one for the effect on space or punctuation. They could be
binary coded like the argument for .hy, so one could combine them. No argument
or argument 0 (Zero) would switch it off.

(E.g. for first argument 1 is underline, 2 is strike through, 3 is both; for
second argument 1 is apply on space, 2 is apply on punctuation, 3 is both an 0
is apply on characters only.)

--Carsten