Re: [Groff] Are your gropdf and pdfmom man pages installed?

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [Groff] Are your gropdf and pdfmom man pages installed?
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 23:05:50 +0200

Hi Dave,

Dave Kemper wrote on Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 07:20:57PM -0500:

> I finally updated my system-wide groff installation from 1.21 to
> 1.22.2.  I notice that two man pages new in 1.22.2, those for gropdf
> and pdfmom, were not installed in the upgrade.
>
> I don't know if this omission is due to a problem in groff itself, or
> in Gentoo Linux's groff package.  If you have a non-Gentoo Linux box
> on which you've installed groff 1.22.2 with your distro's package
> manager, can you tell me whether "man gropdf" works?

I am regularly building groff packages on OpenBSD,
and i can confirm that both the gropdf(1) and the pdfmom(1)
manual install just fine and without any special tricks
when using the build system correctly.

This is true for both the 1.22.2 release and for the git master HEAD.

So commenting on Dale Snell's observation, it seems more likely
to me that Gentoo did something wrong in the packaging than that
Fedora used any special tricks to get the pages installed.
In any case, it seems very unlikely that this is due to a problem
in our upstream groff codebase.  I'd recommend you go hunting for
bugs in the Gentoo packaging.  As a shot in the dark - maybe they
just forgot some updates in their packing list...

Yours,
  Ingo