Re: [Groff] Formatting algorithm, an experiment

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] Formatting algorithm, an experiment
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 20:06:38 +0200

Hello Ulrich,

Ulrich Lauther <address@hidden> wrote:
 |On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 03:43:24PM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> Oh, after fiddling with unsupported linker options etc. to compile
 |> the showcase i got a SIGBUS.  You know, as in "Bus stop, wet day,
 |> she's there" etc.  Only the umbrella is still missing.
 |
 |Not clear to me, if the comment refers to my code or to the groff
 |formatting discussion.

It was more about the maintainer in general, say.

 |If the first, could you provide details?

Sure, i needed the following patch to get to a test run.
(But again, i personally never had a problem with the typesetting
quality of troff (with the TeX-borrowed German hyphenation
enabled), proof-reading provided -- the German translation of
K & R "Programming in C" 2nd Edition has been typeset like that
(by the translators Prof. Dr. Schreiner and Dr. Janich) which
actually convinced me -- recalling its quality -- to try to go
troff (after loosing our setup).  What would thrill me more, and
not because i personally would need it, since i don't, but for
more political, or better say humane reasons, is Unicode support,
so that everybody can use troff, not only the "western" world (or
Christianity or whatever you want to take for "western" here).
But i have no idea, and maybe and most likely will never have.
Ciao,

--steffen