Re: [Groff] Formatting algorithm, an experiment

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] Formatting algorithm, an experiment
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 11:11:02 +0200

Hello Ralph,

Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:
 |Hi Peter,
 |
 |>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2014-06/bin14bGZPiUPU.bin
 |>> which
 |>
 |> The .bin extension issue for attachments in archived email has come up
 |> before.  Does anyone know why lists.gnu.org is doing this and whether
 |> there'd be any point trying to get it fixed?
 |
 |It's to protect users on systems that might execute it as a program
 |willy-nilly, e.g. Microsoft.
 |http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030603
 |
 |https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2008-October/063693.html
 |says how Mailman looks up the MIME part's content-type to see if it's
 |known.  The email used

 |and application/x-tar-gz isn't in
 |http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/  The closest is
 |http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/gzip which
 |leaves the tar for the user to fathom out if left to MIME types alone.

I found that [1] is a good place to look for "a complete list" of
IANA registered and unregistered MIME types but which are used in
practice (i use that for the mailer i maintain), and it lists the
extension tgz regulary thereunder

  <mime-type type="application/gzip">
    <_comment>Gzip Compressed Archive</_comment>
    <alias type="application/x-gzip"/>
    <alias type="application/x-gunzip"/>
    <alias type="application/gzip-compressed"/>
    <alias type="application/gzipped"/>
    <alias type="application/gzip-compressed"/>
    <alias type="application/x-gzip-compressed"/>
    <alias type="gzip/document"/>
    <magic priority="45">
      <match value="\037\213" type="string" offset="0" />
      <match value="\x1f\x8b" type="string" offset="0" />
    </magic>
    <glob pattern="*.tgz" />
    <glob pattern="*.gz" />
    <glob pattern="*-gz" />
    <glob pattern="*.emz" />
  </mime-type>

  [1] <http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tika/trunk/tika-core/src/main/\
        resources/org/apache/tika/mime/tika-mimetypes.xml>

--steffen