Re: [Groff] General nroff/troff question regarding .bp and .ne in divers

From: Steve Izma
Subject: Re: [Groff] General nroff/troff question regarding .bp and .ne in diversions
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 12:40:00 -0400

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 06:10:25PM +0200, Carsten Kunze wrote:
> Subject: [Groff] General nroff/troff question regarding .bp and .ne in
>  diversions
>
> I'd like to use a diversion for printing the bibliography.
> There I'd like to avoid page breaks inside items. I tried to
> use .ne or .bp, both did not work. For .bp I found in the groff
> that it does not work inside (not-top-level) diversions, but
> for .ne it is not mentioned there.

I assume you want the page break *outside* of the diversion. In
other words, read the bibliographic entry into a diversion, check
the height of the entry (\n[dn]), and then see if there's enough
room left before the page trap. Something like this:

.di bib
Ayers, Gwendoline M. \fIEngland's First State Hospitals and the
Metropolitan Asylums Board 1867-1930\fP. London: Wellcome Institute
of the History of Medicine 1971.
.br
.di
.if \n[dn]>\n[.t] .bp
.nf
.bib
.fi

This assumes that the next trap is the end-of-page (or column)
trap.

Am I making the right assumptions about what you need here?

        -- Steve

--
Steve Izma                                address@hidden
    Computing Systems Administrator       519-884-0710 ext. 6125

    Wilfrid Laurier University Press      http://www.wlupress.wlu.ca
    Waterloo, Ont., Canada N2L 3C5        http://nestor.wlu.ca/blog
Our e-newsletter http://www.wlupress.wlu.ca/press/General/signupform.shtml