Re: [Groff] Pre-commit testing, automake

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Pre-commit testing, automake
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 00:58:05 +0100

Hi Peter,

> On the automake debate, I favour migration but have no strong
> opinions.  I know others do, and I'm wondering if those with
> objections could post them for discussion

(I'm in favour of it so shouldn't be replying.)  From what I recall, the
objections are the normal (valid) ones about the auto* family, and that
there are nicer alternatives, e.g. SCons, but auto* are the norm so
developers and packagers are most likely to be familiar with them, and
they're the best at building across the wide range of systems Groff
supports.  It will be nice to get standard makefile targets, e.g.
distcheck, and gnulib on tap, lessening the learning for newcomers to
groff development, or those that can only dip in occasionally.

Cheers, Ralph.