Re: [Groff] Three topics related to images

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Three topics related to images
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 21:03:45 -0400

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014, Keith Marshall wrote:
> On 20/06/14 22:35, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> >>   - provides sensible float handling
> >>   - can be captioned and labelled
> >
> > Wouldn't it be useful to split off that functionality into
> > a separate float handler, to have available also for tables
> > and pic diagrams, and provide a bare-bones PDF image includer
> > à la PSPIC instead?
>
> That's an opinion which I share.  When I wrote pdfmark.tmac, I tried --
> successfully, I hope -- to keep it primary macro package agnostic.  I
> mostly use it with ms, but there should be no reason why it cannot be
> used, equally well, with mm, me, mom, or any other primary document
> formatting macro package.

The success of your agnoticism is proven by the fact that Deri's pdf
work on mom relies (almost?) exclusively on pdfmark.tmac.

I think there's some confusion about what I meant when I wrote
"provides sensible float handling".  Float handling *is* implemented
separately in mom.  I should perhaps have said, more simply, "treats
pdf images as floats."

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca