Re: [Groff] Three topics related to images

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Three topics related to images
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 15:15:57 -0400

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014, Mikkel wrote:
> Why PDF_IMAGE
> This is probably mostly a queston for Peter, in each case it is a specific
> mom questions. I want to understand why PDF_IMAGE macro. Which problems
> does ti solv? What is it that PDF_IMAGE can do that PSPIC can not do?

It lets you insert pdf images into documents. :)

Additionally:

  - allows scaling by percentage
  - provides sensible float handling
  - allows adjustments to vertical placement for better optical
    centering
  - can be captioned and labelled
  - provides the option to put a frame around the image

It would be exceptionally nice if groff natively handled images in
formats other than ps and pdf, but I don't think that's going to
happen any time soon.  For now, it's .ps, or .pdf, or nothing.  Not
a huge issue with 'convert'.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca