[Groff] groff postscript output rotated 90 degrees in for a 4 x 2.5 inch

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: [Groff] groff postscript output rotated 90 degrees in for a 4 x 2.5 inch label?
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 20:01:36 -0400

I just don't seem able to get this right.

I want to create a Postscript file with the text turned 90 degrees from
horizontal.

I define
        .ll 4.0i
        .pl 2.5i
        .po 0
         I format a simple label that looks just fine in Letter sized displays.

I want to
        crop the Postscript to 4 x 2.5 inches
        rotate it 90 degrees
        Look at it with  gv(1)  and then send it to my Dymo label printer.

I have the label printer working, so I think this should work:

        tmpfile=/tmp/xxx
        groff  file >${tmpfile}
        psnup  -w4in  -h2.5in  -l  ${tmpfile} >${tmpfile}2
        gv  ${tmpfile}2

If I make the 3rd line

        psnup                  -l ${tmpfile} >${tmpfile}2

and I get the label, but not rotated.

I've also tried using

        pstops  '0L'  ${tmpfile} >${tmpfile}2

but again, no output.

Oddly

        pstops  '0V'  ${tmpfile} >${tmpfile}2

produces the expected vertical reflection.

        Any suggestions?

        Is there a way to do the rotation _within_ groff?

(I know about the  pic  "aligned" hack,
but that seems to be useful only for simple unformatted text.
I would need to rotate an entire groff diversion.)

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems

 973 822-2085