Re: [Groff] `fi' makes trouble in pdf

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] `fi' makes trouble in pdf
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 14:22:48 +0200

> How do you recommend `disassembling' a PDF to inspect
> its contents?  I'm happy grokking PostScript but want to
> see the PDF's structure so pdf2ps's output, for example,
> isn't suitable.

There is a wonderful program called "qpdf" that converts a
PDF file into an equivalent PDF file optionally performing a
number of conversions, such as uncompressing the contents
(then it's called a "QDF file", but it's still legal PDF).
It has a companion program "fix-qdf" that updates the internal
pointers in case the byte-offsets of the objects shift around
when you edit the file.