Re: [Groff] `fi' makes trouble in pdf

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [Groff] `fi' makes trouble in pdf
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 13:20:33 +0100

On Sun 01 Jun 2014 18:40:58 Bernd Warken wrote:
> `ttf-mscore-install' did not work for me.
>
> Von: "Deri James" <address@hidden>
>
> > I've tested on okular 0.17.4 and 0.19.0, both seem Ok.>
> > If you'd like to send me the pdf which won't display on your ubuntu, I
> > might be able to see what is wrong.
> ligature-error_$ echo filefile | groff -Tpdf > file.pdf   # see appendix
>
> > You could also try:-
>

> > echo file | groff -Tpdf -P-y -PU | okular -
>

> That works very fine for me.  Thanx.
>
> > To use an alternative font, which will actually be embedded in the pdf,
> > rather than the pdf viewer substituting what it thinks is the closest
> > font (which may not contain the 'fi' glyph).
> I will use something like that for `groffer'.
>

> Bernd Warken

As Tadziu says this pdf works fine if the pdf viewer uses a font which contains
the
glyph, but it seems that your ubuntu is choosing a font which does not contain
the
glyph. You could try:-

fc-match Times-Roman

To find out what font okular/evince are aliasing to Times-Roman, and compare
this with
the older ubuntu.

Deri