Re: [Groff] Bold \(sq not filled

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bold \(sq not filled
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 21:50:59 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Ralph,

> > in troff the Times Roman Bold \(sq is filled solid black. In groff
> > there is no difference between any Times Roman font.
>
> Agreed.  This does seem to be a bug in groff that needs formerly lodging
> somewhere?

Yes, it's somehow a groff "bug". Could also be named a bug that this glyph has
a so different appearence in bold face at traditional troff, but groff should
be compatible with legacy troff (with its bugs also ;-)

> > Is there a way to get the standard (UNIX V7) behaviour of a solid
> > filled bold \(sq?
>
> For what output devices?

At least for postscript output, if possible.

> > Or is there any other special character which draws a solid filled
> > square? (At the moment I use a scaled draw function.)
>
> It seems -Tps draws \(sq whereas -Tutf8 uses U+25A1.  The neighbouring
> U+25A0 is filled so \[u25A0] might do you, depending on the output
> device.

I will check this, thank you very much!

(To have it some day for postscript \fB\(sq also would be very nice (for
compatibility reasons).)

Thanx for your help!

Regards,
Carsten