Re: [Groff] `groff_char.7' works only for `man', but not for `groff'

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] `groff_char.7' works only for `man', but not for `groff'
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 21:37:27 +0200

> Von: "Dale Snell" <address@hidden>
>
> You might look at the source for the groff_char.7 man page.
> According to groff_man(7)
>
>    If a preprocessor like tbl or eqn is needed, it has become
>    common to make the first line of the man page look like this:
>
>               '\" word

This "word" is a collection of characters, each of which means
a guessed `groff' option.

> However, the source file for groff_char.7 (.../man/groff_char.man)
> has:
>               .\" t
>
> as its first line.  Note that it's got a leading period instead of
> an apostrophe.  It's the only file in the source "man" directory
> that does.  The other files that use this construct have an
> apostrophe.

I changed grog, such that lines starting with . (period) or '
(apostrophe) are both regarded as equal (only within `grog').

I extended `grog' to recognise 8 single character options from
a first line.

Bernd Warken