Re: [Groff] [groff] Formatting algorithm

From: Denis M. Wilson
Subject: Re: [Groff] [groff] Formatting algorithm
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 10:48:08 +0100

The method used in TeX is the shortest path in a directed acyclic graph.
This is a well-understood problem. There seems unfortunately to be
nothing useful in the STL. The DAG would need to be a new data type.

The real problem is assigning the values in the DAG. Something of the
sort must already be in Heirloom troff.

As there are no modes in troff, I agree with Peter that new commands to
begin and end a paragraph are required. A careful review of the effect
of any troff command needs to be done, even possibly restricting the
effects of some.

This is the time to introduce shaped paragraphs (also in Heirloom
Troff).

IMHO the KP method *should* be used -- if anyone is going to do
anything at all. It's not going to be me, I'm too old. It's going to be
hard work, bit doable (Gunnar did it).

Time to stop the waffle, find someone prepared to take it on and work
out the nitty-gritty.

Denis