Re: [Groff] Formatting algorithm

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Formatting algorithm
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 14:59:19 -0400

>  I don't see why any forking should be needed.

I am all ears. I'd love to know a better way to cope with events
that are triggered by line breaks, when several different potential
line breaks are in play, as were discussed in my posting to which
Peter's referred. Forking is certainly unappealing, though in the
future of multicore processors it may not be as daunting as before.

It seems there's an awful lot of state that may potentially vary
with line breaks. Forking is an easy way to cope. My question
remains: is there a better way?

Doug