Re: [Groff] mission statement 3

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] mission statement 3
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 17:47:21 -0400

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014, Dave Kemper wrote:
> On 3/27/14, Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Have you checked out the 'install-font.sh' script at
> >
> >   http://www.schaffter.ca/mom/mom-05.html#install-font
> >
> > Takes about two seconds to install a font.
>
> I've used this script and I agree it's great.  But it's not part of groff,
> not distributed with groff, and as far as I can find, not mentioned
> in groff documentation anywhere.  It's a solution to a general groff
> problem that's only mentioned in mom documentation.  Really, it--or
> something with similar functionality--should be distributed with groff
> unless/until groff can handle other font formats natively.

I'm inclined to agree.  It would certainly be helpful to users until
support for non-Type1 fonts is implemented.

The font conversion isn't particularly sophisticated, just
'fontforge' to convert to .pfa then 'afmtodit' with a minimal set of
options to create the groff font.  That can be improved, I'm sure,
if anyone has ideas.

Also, it's #!/bin/bash, not #!/bin/sh.  It should probably be
Perl-ized if it's to be added to groff.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca