Re: [Groff] [groff] mission statement 3

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] [groff] mission statement 3
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:31:43 +0000

Hi Eric,

Doug wrote:
> > In pic, the thing I miss most is polygons (preferably allowing arcs
> > and splines as edges) that can be filled.  After that, the next step
> > is a big one: lightweight constraint-based drawing; Van Wyk's Ideal
> > (SIGPLAN Notices 16:6) is a proof of concept. Can that be gracefully
> > folded into the current pic model?
>
> Maybe.  Is there an open-source implementation I can look at?

Not that I know of.  Christopher Van Wyk wrote in 2011 in private email

    The source code for IDEAL is owned by Alcatel-Lucent.  In fact, they
    provided it to someone else within the past year.

Perhaps it's become available since then as part of one of their
re-licensings?

Are you aware of

    http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/103.ps.gz,
    CSTR #103, C. J. Van Wyk, Bell Labs, December 1981.

You may find evince(1) or some versions of ps2pdf(1) don't cope with it
too well, e.g. resulting diagrams missing alongside source.  Plain gs(1)
is happy.

Cheers, Ralph.