Re: [Groff] Letterspacing

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Letterspacing
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 06:44:19 +0100 (CET)

> We all agree groff's paragraph formatting needs an overhaul, but is
> Knuth the right way to go?

This is an interesting question that needs research, I guess.  What
alternatives do exist?

> Overall, the principle [of KP] is sound.  If we could wave a magic
> wand and get groff to do this, I doubt anyone would mind.  The
> problem is, as Gunnar Ritter reminded me: "...the task of rewriting
> large portions of an existing environment that assumes line based
> formatting."

Well, *if* someone is going to implement a better line breaking
algorithm, it should be the best available, and not a compromise.
Changes are necessary in any case...

> Like Doug, I smell an increase in complexity that runs counter to
> simplicity, flexibility, and portability.

I don't think so.  It's simply different, and you need different means
to control it.