Re: [Groff] Letterspacing

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Letterspacing
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 06:50:05 +0100 (CET)

> I'm still puzzled by Werner's blanket dismissal of letterspacing.

Well, as Tadziu's example shows, if you simply allow some squeezing of
the *inter-word* distances, you can get very nice results.  If this
isn't good enough, some *minimum* letterspacing might be applied, as
done by pdftex.

Not doing the former but only doing the latter is not good enough
IMHO.

> This kind of line-by-line letterspacing has been pretty much
> stock-in-trade since the earliest days of standalone
> phototypesetting systems, which is why I'm puzzled.

My main concern is the improvement of *automatic* typesetting.  A
person like you who knows about the details of fine typography might
manually improve the results in a decent way, of course.