Re: [Groff] Add --with-doc configuration option

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Add --with-doc configuration option
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 16:03:04 +0100 (CET)

>> Now the only problem that remains for me is that
>>
>>   $ ./configure --without-x --with-doc=examples; make
>>
>> fails with error if `gnu.xpm' cannot be converted because of
>> missing tools.  I'm still the opinion that this is not acceptable
>> behaviour and that the `touch gnu.eps' should be automatic in such
>> cases (after a warning message).
>
> I can't spot any problems with Steffen's 'touch gnu.eps' proposal to
> prevent build failure in the absence of the netpbm tools.  Werner?

Well, this *only* happens if you do a build from the git repository;
for this situation I still think that you should have all the tools.

It's somehow bizarre to implement a `--with-doc=...' configuration
option that makes it possible to explicitly disable the compilation of
the examples, and at the same time to complain that
`--with-doc=examples' doesn't work because some tools are missing – we
are still talking about compiling from git!

It's OK with me to mention this trick somewhere in a README, but
`touch gnu.eps' essentially means crippling the documentation, making
it incomplete.  For this reason I vote `no'.