Re: [Groff] Add --with-doc configuration option

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] Add --with-doc configuration option
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 19:39:37 +0100

Heya, Ralph,

Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:
 |Hi Steffen,
 |
 |> That is, tr(1) is buggy
 |
 |tr(1) seems to be behaving as I'd expect.  The \n is a control character

oh yes, compilation on CRUX-3 Linux succeeds without any problems,
the font listing is worked from top to bottom.

Now the only problem that remains for me is that

  $ ./configure --without-x --with-doc=examples; make

fails with error if `gnu.xpm' cannot be converted because of
missing tools.  I'm still the opinion that this is not acceptable
behaviour and that the `touch gnu.eps' should be automatic in such
cases (after a warning message).

 |and is being turned into space so you have to add another with echo.  It
 |thinks 0-0x1f and 0x7f are cntrl.

 |    $ recode /test8 </dev/null |
 |> tr -c '[:cntrl:]' - |
 |> tr '[:cntrl:]' c |
 |> fold -32; echo
 |    cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
 |    --------------------------------
 |    --------------------------------
 |    -------------------------------c
 |    --------------------------------
 |    --------------------------------
 |    --------------------------------
 |    --------------------------------
 |    $
 |
 |> This doesn't work in the code above
 |
 |I can get an additional echo to work here, Linux, so I'm not quite sure
 |what you're trying that fails?

 |    $ printf '%s\n' foo '.pso sh -c \' ' "echo -n a | tr a b"' bar |
 |> nroff -U | grep .
 |    foo bbar

Hoppla.

  address@hidden groff.git]$ printf '%s\n' foo '.pso sh -c \' ' \
    "echo -n a | tr a b"' bar |nroff -U | grep .
  foo ‐n b bar

 |  $ printf '%s\n' foo '.pso sh -c \' ' "echo -n a | tr a b; \' ' echo"' bar |
 |> nroff -U | grep .
 |    foo b bar

U-hu

  address@hidden groff.git]$ printf '%s\n' foo '.pso sh -c \' ' \
    "echo -n a | tr a b; \' ' echo"' bar |nroff -U | grep .
  foo ‐n b
  bar

Ok but allow me to think a bit about those.. until at least
tomorrow.  :)
Ciao

 |Cheers, Ralph.

--steffen