Re: [Groff] Add --with-doc configuration option

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] Add --with-doc configuration option
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 18:17:33 +0100

I wrote..
 |find below something that adds the mentioned options and also
 |tweaks the make system a bit -- 'make install' and 'make
 |uninstall' seem to work again after the patch series is applied.
 |There are still problems ('make install' with DESTDIR set results
 |in some errors along the way, mostly contrib/hdtbl, 'make
 |uninstall' still leaves some stale directories laying around)
 [.]

For simplicity (i.e., passing by the GNU copyright scan :) i'll
attach the necessary add-on patch to make install and uninstall
completely error free, and without no stale directories laying
around.

The mentioned `contrib/hdtbl' problem is on the Apple Snow Leopard
side, however:

  i am here 0: "/Volumes/UDF/arena/code.extern/groff.git/font/devps"
  i am here 1: "all" *f is ""
  i am here 1.5
  i am here 2
  i am here 3
  i am here 4:, 22
  i am here 4.5
  examples/fonts_n.roff:153: Font  not found.
                                 ^^
This because '.if !F \\*[*$1] \{\' -> '!F "\.."'
  elapsed time: 0 seconds
  ***

  examples/fonts_x.roff:153: name expected (got `\{')
  listing font `'...
  examples/fonts_x.roff:153: warning: can't find font `='
  elapsed time: 0 seconds
  ***

That is, tr(1) is buggy, and the command
(from `hdtbl/examples/fonts_[nx].in')

  .  pso sh -c \
         "echo -n .ds *f\ ; \
          ls \\*[fontpath]/dev\*[.T] \
          | tr '[:cntrl:]' ' '"
  .  \" This dummy line is necessary; the preceding line eats it.

doesn't work; if i do

  address@hidden groff.git]$ (cd font/devps/; ls| /usr/bin/tr '[:cntrl:]' ' ')

then i get

  r.pfa zapfdr.ps address@hidden groff.git]$

however if i append `;echo' to the above it's fine.  This doesn't
work in the code above, yet i decided not to look further since
this is Snow Leopard from i think 2009 and noone but me seems to
have complained about that?  It's fine on the tested Linux and
BSD systems anyway.

--steffen