Re: [Groff] Mission statement, second draft

From: Denis M. Wilson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Mission statement, second draft
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:28:11 +0000

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 10:29:50 -0400
Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014, Joachim Walsdorff wrote:
> > it would be fine if you could provide an example text, formatted
> > both with groff and Heirloom troff, to demonstrate us the
> > typographic gain by `paragraph-at-once formattingĀ“ against `line
> > formattingĀ“.
>
>   http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/doctools/just.pdf

That is one interesting document...showing clearly the quality gain
with paragraph-at-once formatting, as well as other things. The shaped
paragraph facility is one that would greatly benefit groff. I did
suggest it many years ago, but it wasn't taken up. I believe that it
could be done with line formatting as well.

Oh, and the PDF document above was beyond my version of Firefox's
ability. I downloaded it: gv fails, finding errors and showing all the
wrong glyphs; evince showed it fine but a page at a time. I regret to
say that Adobe reader was the only one that correctly rendered as
two-up.

This also relates to the question of OTF and the need for a more
sophisticated way in groff of referencing glyphs. For example I have a
font with both regular caps and small caps, but the latter are called
A_sc etc, so different encodings are required in the same font.

Denis