Re: [Groff] Mission statement, second draft

From: Pierre-Jean
Subject: Re: [Groff] Mission statement, second draft
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:15:55 +0100

Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014, Joachim Walsdorff wrote:
> > it would be fine if you could provide an example text, formatted
> > both with groff and Heirloom troff, to demonstrate us the
> > typographic gain by `paragraph-at-once formattingĀ“ against `line
> > formattingĀ“.
>
>   http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/doctools/just.pdf

I've attached another postscript example produced by
heirloom troff.

Look at the blanks in the first paragraph, and how we can
remove them so that the "color" of the paragraph seems more
uniform. We can also use some tricks to increase or
decrease the size of the whole paragraph and avoid orphans.

Some art is still needed to adjust everything correctly.
These features only offer the possibility to practice that
art.

Here is the code I used:

.\" set heirloom extensions:
.do xflag 3
.de lorem
.sp 1v
.\" text from wikipedia "microtypography".
Microtypography is the name given to a range of methods for
improving the readability and appearance of text, especially
justified text. The methods reduce the appearance of large
interword spaces and create edges to the text that appear
more even.
Heirloom Troff, the OpenType compatible free and open-source
version of UNIX troff also supports protrusion, kerning and
tracking.
..
.vs 15
.ps 11