Re: [Groff] Mission statement

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Mission statement
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 06:58:27 +0100 (CET)

> Nothing you can ever do with autotools will ever be describable as
> 'streamlining'.  It's a horrible, bloated, crufty mess that leads to
> horrible, bloated, crufty builds.

No comment :-)

> If I were running the project I would toss out autotools in a
> heartbeat and replace it with something cleaner and more modern.  My
> top choice would be scons.

Do you like to contribute an SCons build file?  It's always good to
have more than a single choice.  If it indeed proves as superior – in
particular, if it runs on ancient platforms supported by autoconf and
automake – we can move to that.  Unfortunately, the user base of SCons
is probably *much* smaller than autoconf/automake.  And you need
Python, a tool not necessary yet for groff.  Well, well, well.[*]

BTW, you have to convince my successor that it is a superior tool
since he or she has to maintain it.

    Werner

[*] SCons is going to use python 3.0, I have just read.  Hopefully, it
    will continue to work with the 2.x series, or it disqualifies
    itself for groff even before the start IMHO.