Re: [Groff] Tiny make patch: avoid Netpbm dependency

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Tiny make patch: avoid Netpbm dependency
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 18:13:12 +0100 (CET)

> Well, I will not be participating in that;

:-)

> it's a personal view, but I firmly believe that automake *creates*
> more problems than it solves

Which ones?  Maybe your biased view is related to mingw?

> -- indeed, I don't even understand what problem it does solve.

Out of my head:

. It automatically generates all the necessary targets in the
  Makefile.

. It ensures correct dependency handling.

. Integration of gnulib is very, very simple with automake.

. It ensures that only the documented files become part of the
  tarball.

. In `gnits' mode, it takes care of a lot of distribution stuff that
  is very is easy to forget.