Re: [Groff] Tiny make patch: avoid Netpbm dependency

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] Tiny make patch: avoid Netpbm dependency
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 23:37:04 +0000

On 12/03/14 22:06, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
>>> It is a very good principle to put only real source files into a git
>>> repository, and no generated files.  I will continue so.  My
>>> successor might make a different decision, though.
>>
>> Sure, that is your decision.
>
> It's also long-standing normal practice.  It's a real pain to look at
> the differences between versions under *source* control and have them
> cluttered with noisy differences between built outputs.

And this is why it's such a bad idea to keep the *generated* configure
file, (as opposed to just configure.ac), in the repository; differences
in the autoconf versions on different developers' machines may produce
*very* noisy diffs, for trivial configure.ac changes.

This was always an annoyance in CVS; with the recent migration to git,
now would probably be a good time to drop the generated configure file
from the repository.

Keith.