Re: [Groff] Tiny make patch: avoid Netpbm dependency

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Tiny make patch: avoid Netpbm dependency
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:52:03 -0400

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014, Werner Lemberg wrote:
> It is a very good principle to put only real source files into a git
> repository, and no generated files.  I will continue so.  My successor
> might make a different decision, though.

I'm behind Werner on this.

> > E.g., if i would be a MOM user i surely would have loved to get
> > the new thing at a glance,
>
> You can do so, since Peter distributes MOM separately, exactly for
> this reason.

Indeed.  Mom is developed separately from groff itself (hence in the
/contrib dir), with its own versioning and release cycle, and is
unaffected by development within groff.  The independent tarballs on
the mom site are the expected way for users to keep current.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca