Re: [Groff] Tiny make patch: avoid Netpbm dependency

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Tiny make patch: avoid Netpbm dependency
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 23:58:43 +0100 (CET)

> for me the dependency upon Netpbm is "annoying"; i always restart
> failed makes to get over all related problems: like that
> (single-threaded) compilation is just fine.

With the distributed tarballs, there is *no* dependency on Netpbm!

> Configuration checks for (some) Netpbm programs and avoids
> $make_html as necessary -- however, xpmtoppm(1), pnmdepth(1) and
> pnmtops(1) are still required to generate `gnu.eps', which in turn
> is used by some examples only; etc.

`gnu.eps' *is* distributed in the groff-1.22.2 tarball, in the `dir'
subdirectory.  How do you get the impression that it is missing?
Looking into the archive, I see that `gnu.eps's timestamp is 10
seconds after the one of `gnu.xpm'; this means that the dependencies
are correctly fullfilled, and a call to `make' doesn't try to
regenerate the EPS file.

If you do a normal `./configure && make && make install' incantation,
and you experience problems with `gnu.eps', please show a log file of
the build process.