Re: [Groff] commit policy

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: Re: [Groff] commit policy
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:22:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
I'm pretty much a lurker on the list -- I like to write using groff but I don't
do macros and
tools work...

However, I am learning a bit about git, and working with some serious git
masters.  The
flaw I see to Warner's proposed policy is that comments and discussions are not
stored
in the git repository for posterity.  We are using gerrit, which is a lovely
review tool, in
conjunction with git and it's a rather lovely system.

Summary work flow:  when I commit something, it actually goes into a gerrit
repository,
not the official git repository.  When I am ready, I do some rebasing and other
things
and then type "git review" to put the document (or code) out for review.  I can
specify
people who need to review it but anyone is free to review it.

When you review, you can add comments to any line, and you can then mark your
review as a +1 ("Looks good to me but someone else needs to approve") or -1 (I'd
rather you not commit this in the current state).  The official approvers can
also give
it a +2, which then moves it into the official git repository.

When you get -1 ratings, you can then go in and apply changes to satisfy the
comments
and do a commit --amend to amend that commit -- at that point, you can also
modify the
comments associated with the commit -- either the short summary line or the
longer
commentary that can follow.

It all makes for a rather nice little system that preserves discussions and
conclusions.
For example, you could add a comment to a commit like "Meg's suggestion to do
<blah>
was rejected because it would break 80% of the existing man pages in the world".

I'll go back to lurking now -- you guys who do the actual work should decide
how you
do it but I think gerrit solves a major flaw that git has...

meg