Re: [Groff] man pages (tangential to Future Redux)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] man pages (tangential to Future Redux)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 14:36:36 +0100 (CET)

> Yes, HTML output from makeinfo does exist (I have contributed code to
> that mode of makeinfo myself).  It's a  kludge, though, and not much
> used.  Tellingly, the various pieces of HTML you can produce from
> Texinfo sources are not even properly cross-linked to *each other*,
> let alone to the rest of the Web.

Well, lilypond.org uses texinfo's HTML output quite successfully to
build the complete web page from the documentation; this ensures that
the contents always stays in sync.

> What we have now in the Linux/Unix documentation world is a large
> pre-hypertext pile of documents with no link structure (manual
> pages) and a smaller, weirder one (info) with a sort-of half-assed
> link structure.  My goal is to level the walls around both and merge
> them into the Web.

I like stand-alone `info' a lot – and I guess that the `info' Emacs
mode is quite the sime (with the addition of supporting images).  Its
searching capabilities are far superior to any web browser if you have
split the document into multiple pages.