Re: [Groff] man pages (tangential to Future Redux)

From: Walter Alejandro Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Groff] man pages (tangential to Future Redux)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 21:16:37 +0100

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 12:15:35PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> You will be pleased to hear, then, that RMS and I have been
> discussing specifics of how and when to shoot this bad idea
> through the head.
>
> Where we're probably going is that (a) info will die, to be replaced
> by HTML browsed from within Emacs, and (b) Texinfo will be replaced by
> a modern lightweight format that can render to both print and HTML;
> most likely asciidoc.

I used Emacs for years.  I got out of the Church before my soul were
totally abducted.  I remember myself trying to make all to work in
Emacs, the first symptom.  To discuss with RMS is the better antidote,
you get expelled by a demoniac redeeming power out of the Church/1/.

I used docbook and variants.  I like it but in practice to use another
xml dialect when I can put my hands directly in html just because for
the same price I obtain an ugly postscript is not a deal.

Some people even hack less(1) to render colors in man pages.  I
usually read them in xterm with bitmap fonts without even bold and
italic fonts.  When people is lazy to read no formating is enough to
make them happy.

        Walter

(1) At that time, not convinced about using gnus for email I read some
article of yours talking about mutt.  I've adopted mutt and fetchmail
since then (and vi* to edit).  You helped me to get out of the Church.