Re: [Groff] The future redux

From: Charlie Kester
Subject: Re: [Groff] The future redux
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:31:23 -0800

On Wed 26 Feb 2014 at 19:55:31 PST James K. Lowden wrote:

Luckily, the terminal is also the solution.  Or, rather, a different
terminal would be.  I call it VT-roff:

        http://www.schemamania.org/troff/vt-roff.pdf

Interesting article.  Thanks for sharing it.

My first reaction was to wonder why not simply have a commandline
driving graphical output in another window.  But I see your point about
having a history connecting commands to the output.  I'm just not sure
how often I would actually need that.

Disagree with your assertion that ncurses-based apps are dead or dying.
For example, there are a lot of people using mutt for email and the
non-GUI version of vim for general text editing, and these (and many
other ncurses apps) are actively maintained.