Re: [Groff] The future redux

From: Walter Alejandro Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Groff] The future redux
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:46:18 +0100

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 09:59:43PM -0500, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> I'm afraid this will be a long post.  Sorry, but I don't see any way
> around it.
>
> It's ironic and instructive that the thread, "Future direction of
> groff", which became a semantic-vs-presentational debate eerily
> similar to a previous discussion on the same subject, originated
> in the "space-width" thread, which deals with the minutiae of
> presentation.
>
> Re-reading the posts, a number of things become clear.  First,
> groffers on the list value quality typesetting, and there's
> considerable discomfort with moving away from the physical page,
> conceptual or otherwise, to the multi-modal paradigm.  Secondly,
> there's a perceived conflict between backward compatibility and future
> development.  Thirdly, more than one list member expressed fear that
> improving groff will somehow break it.
>
> Lastly, there's Eric's insistence that "if it ain't semantic it's a
> dinosaur," which was greeted with as much resistance this time as
> the last time the subject came up.  Allow me to say here that Eric
> may well be right.  His indispensable contributions to open-source
> development lend considerable weight to any argument he makes.  He's
> been an inspiration to me for years.  I'm disinclined to dismiss out
> of hand any opinion he offers.
>
> If groff is to have a future, if it is to remain vital, it is clear
> these issues need to be looked at.  More than groff is at stake.  Do
> we live in a world where typography itself is becoming an archaic
> craft, like stone masonry?  Is print really dead, as some have
> asserted?  Is there a future for documents that are beautifully
> typeset but only render properly as PDF or PostScript?
>
> And, if the answers are, in order, "no," "no," and "yes," do we
> really need both groff and TeX when TeX is, at present, more
> typographically sophisticated?
>
> I think, too, we need to consider the distinction between
> "documentation" and "a document".  Is the primary purpose of groff
> to produce documentation, which requires an ordered structuring of
> the subject matter, or to produce material of a more fluid nature
> where the presentation (the typography) serves expressive rather
> than structural needs?
>
> * Backward Compatibility
>
> Mike Bianchi summed up the backward compatibility concern best:
>
>  "The fact that I can still format documents I wrote in the 1970s
>   and beyond is valuable to me, and, should any of them ever become
>   classics, possibly to others in the future.  So no, do not break
>   groff by 'modernizing' it."
>
> Backward compatibility has been a mainstay of *roff throughout its
> history, and any effort to improve groff should remain true to that
> goal.  However, ultra-strict adherence to backward compatibility
> must not stand in the way of improvements to existing functionality
> and the quality of final output.
>
> While it's a wonderful convenience to use groff in 2014 to format
> [...]

I wouldn't call it fear, I was "sure" the, let's call it "pottering
solution" or "mswindows integration process" would more or late
contaminate Groff too.

After spotting on space-with subject I've noticed that Groff do the
right thing between sentences.  LaTeX doesn't.  And despite what other
Lennart disciple here said, Groff and LaTeX quality is superior to
most proprietary solutions, at least the ones I've known (he showed up
praising their "GUIs with visual manipulation" feature).

If you are so convinced that "modern tendencies" (pure fashion) should
rule the future of Groff start NOW thinking about a functionality that
does not imply to read and write.  Because in the near future the
average will not be able to stablish any communication in that way.
You know, it isn't a hyperbole (of course, to appreciate "how pretty
the fonts look on the page" is not necessary to be able to read).

Finally, assuming you have the skills to improve Groff why don't you
write your own *better* software and everybody's happy?

Why do you people don't let other species live?, why do you want to
cover all with your shit?  What do you want to do with Groff?
Converting it in one more friendly full featured app to seduce idiot
people?  Is that your "rescue strategy"?  Before that let it die with
dignity.

        Walter