Re: [Groff] Future direction of groff

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Future direction of groff
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 13:53:24 -0700

My only use of macros was the man macros package when I produced the
HP-UX reference at HP, starting in 1985.  Otherwise, I write my own
macros to do what I need and they've served me well for over 20 years.

My first use of my own macros was when I used troff to create master
artwork for printed-circuit layout.  I designed a PC board for an
automotive service machine when I designed the control electronics and
didn't have a CAD system of any kind.

That's why I say (with tongue in cheek [non-Americans may not
understand that idiom]), you don't know troff until you've used it
to design printed circuits. :-)

I like groff and use it for all sorts of things.  I've never mastered
pic, and rarely use eqn.  Tbl is useful when I occasionally need it.
But that's not frequently.  I rewrote the tbl tutorial for HP because
the AT&T was too difficult for most users to make sense of because
there were so few examples with too little variety.  That was in the
late 1980s.

Clarke