Re: [Groff] space width

From: Walter Alejandro Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Groff] space width
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 10:45:47 +0100

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 08:06:11PM -0500, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014, Werner Lemberg wrote:
>> Given today's memory abundance and the high velocity of CPUs, the
>> ideal route would be to implement a document-wide algorithm for
>> typesetting a document (in contrast to TeX's page-wide approach).
>
> Completely agree.  The Holy Grail of typesetting.  Do you think it
> will ever come to be?

You want more features because you have more memory, and you want more memory
because you want more features.  You want more of what ever, more and more,
don't you?  There you have InDesign.

Months ago I had a discussion with a texlive developer about the huge size of
texlive.  The same discussion that by analogy I could have had about any
today's FOSS project.  Thanks to that *creativity* what could have been, for
example, a good text editor ends up being some kind of plain text version of
Dream Weaver (gnu emacs).  Please let groff abandoned, abandoned software is in
better shape than maintained.  If it is not broken...

        Walter