Re: [Groff] Fw: Generating ChangeLog files.

From: Daode
Subject: Re: [Groff] Fw: Generating ChangeLog files.
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 13:04:44 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
 |Regarding the abandoning of ChangeLog files: There is an interesting
 |thread right now about this topic in the emacs-devel mailing list.
 |Attached you can find one of the messages, and I agree with Eli.
 |However, other people might think differently...

I never used ChangeLog, only commit messages.  They got better and
more descriptive as time went by.  However, every project may do
it whatever way they want to, of course (and nothing prevents from
writing an entry once and get any desired output in one go).

Groff is nice in particular because of the small ChangeLogs.
Since, the reason that i'm writing this message is that my local
GNULib git repo clone (i've forgotten who depends and not
auto-includes the necessary files in their own repo) is forcefully
downgraded to never 'git gc --aggressive' but only plain 'git gc',
because of their ChangeLog:

  address@hidden gnulib.git-no_fullgc]$ git show \
  master:ChangeLog | wc
  101149  397227 3800935

Maybe a monster machine is capable to get that right.
Also, i once tried to 'git cvsimport' something with GNU-like
ChangeLogs, but stopped after a few hundred changesets because of
course we were in the process of running into a problem, over the
network.  All of this surely has nothing to do with Groff.

--steffen
--- Begin Message --- Subject: [Groff] Fw: Generating ChangeLog files. Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 11:37:29 +0100 (CET)
Regarding the abandoning of ChangeLog files: There is an interesting
thread right now about this topic in the emacs-devel mailing list.
Attached you can find one of the messages, and I agree with Eli.
However, other people might think differently...

    Werner
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Generating ChangeLog files. Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 12:12:35 +0200
> From: RĂ¼diger Sonderfeld <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 10:31:39 +0100
> Cc: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>,
>       Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden>
>
> I usually write patches on a branch and rebase them when they are ready to be
> pushed.  This always causes merge conflicts for the ChangeLog.  (Maybe [1]
> could help a bit.)

There should be no merge conflicts with ChangeLog files.  I see an
absolute zero of them.  git-merge-changelog and the changelog_merge
plugin in bzr make this not an issue.

> E.g., GNU Octave replaced ChangeLog with an auto-generated ChangeLog from
> commit messages and they seem to be quite happy with that solution.

I've seen a couple of projects that eliminated ChangeLogs.  In every
single case, the result was a drastic deterioration in the quality of
the commit log information.

> I know the topic has been discussed several times and it seems a bit
> pointless
> to start the discussion again.  But in my opinion ChangeLogs are an even
> bigger issue than the VC because at least I can work around the latter by
> using git-bzr.

As pointed out above, you should be able to resolve the former as
well, in no time.

--- End Message ---

--- End Message ---