Re: [Groff] Where do we go from here?

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] Where do we go from here?
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 03:42:19 -0500

Colin Watson <address@hidden>:
> > You say you're happy with bzr's UI.  Does it not seem to you that bzr is
> > deeply confused about what its unit of work is?  I tried learning bzr
> > in order to work on Emacs and found that the distinction between repos
> > and detached branches made my head hurt a lot.
>
> I've heard similar from others, but this has never bothered me (although
> the colocated branch model used by git is certainly *convenient* in many
> cases).  I guess it fits my brain.  It's probably several years too late
> to have this debate, though. :-)

Indeed.  Not only has git won the mindshare war, I have learned recently
that the bzr project is stalled out and disintegrating. One of its
senior devs has written a very interesting elegy to it:

http://www.stationary-traveller.eu/pages/bzr-a-retrospective.html

For hysterical raisins it probably falls on me to be the person who
tries to talk the Emacs project into migrating off bzr to git.  I
think I can win that argument, but I'm not looking forward to being in
it.