[Groff] Second try at git conversion

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [Groff] Second try at git conversion
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 14:09:24 -0500

I've uploaded another try at a git conversion of the groff repo. To look at it:

1. git init groff-git

2. cd groff-git

3. wget http://www.catb.org/esr/groff-git.fi.gz/

4. gzip <groff-git.fi.gz | git fast-import

5. git checkout to materialize the files.

6. rm groff-git.fi.gz

This time, I have coalesced all cliques and patched all empty log
comments.  There are four small new commits that remove various CVS
fossils from the repository content.  This repo is clean and I believe
it's ready to be used for production.

To verify that the conversion produces a correct head revision, you can
do something like:

cd groff-git; git checkout HEAD~4
diff -r groff-checkout/ groff-git | grep -v 'CVS$' | more

The filtering step throws CVS directories out of the list.  You will
note that some directories (grohtml2m, grohtml-old, devhtml,
devhtml-olfd, xditview) in the CVS checkout aren't present in the git
tree.  These are Attic directories; the corresponding deleted content
will be found if you look at the right places in the git history.

I've enclosed the current version of the lift script, which may be of
some interest as it's pretty readable even to those not intimately familiar
with the reposurgeon minilangage.

As usual, the design of the reposurgeon language evolved in response
to the conversion.  Because I found myself having to use the command
pattern

        delete <commit> & /empty log message/ pushforward tagforward

so often, I added a simple macro facility to the language.  This will
be one of the headline features in reposurgeon 3.0.