[Groff] Typesetting dashes

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: [Groff] Typesetting dashes
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 22:51:09 +0400

Hello all,

I  should  like  to  typeset em dashes surrounded by
thin, say 1/4th en, spaces.  To prevent a dash  from
starting  a  new  line,  the first space must be un-
breakable.  The  second  one  must  be  discardable.
Both spaces must be unstretchable.  How to do it?

The '\h' describption refers the reader to the '.ss'
request for producing a  custom  discardable  space,
but  does  it not also produce a full stop as an un-
avoidable side effect?

I think one could make any  space  unstretchable  by
pre-formatting it using a diversion, and then saving
the diversion into a string.